I began yoga in high school as a way to manage stress. I found that yoga weaved like a thread in and out of my life as the years passed. Never consistent with the practice for very long but it was always there when I needed it. I would practice at home with a DVD or take classes. I found that my practice was the best during big life changes like starting college, new career, moving between cities, etc. But honestly at this time it was just a physical practice to me. A way to stretch out and remove some tension from my body.
During my technology corporate career I had chronic stress related illnesses. After much suffering, tests and medication, I made a plan with my husband so I could start a new life. I made the bold move to leave my corporate career in Dec 2016. I took a much deserved year off to get the house and myself in order. During that time I turned to a professional therapist and yoga to heal. I discovered the side of yoga that was more than just a physical practice. My body and mind slowly came back into a more balanced state and I no longer felt chronic pain or needed medication.
I wanted others to have this feeling of being balanced and whole. I started my journey of forever learning as a yoga teacher. Since then I have taken multiple workshops (many anatomy based), two 200-hr yoga teacher trainings, Reiki training and continuously read books on yoga topics. I learn something every day that I can apply to my teaching.
My goal is to share the knowledge of yoga I have received, continue to learn new techniques/anatomy information, and spread the joy of having a yoga self-practice in your life. The true practice of yoga begins when you step off of your mat. I love teaching new yogis so they realize there is more to yoga than just the poses (asanas). I continue to educate myself on variations and prop usage to make yoga accessible and creative. If you can breathe, you can do yoga. The key is to let go of judgments and expectations on what you think your body should do. Just enjoy how you feel and how your body responds in the present moment for the full mind, body and spirit connection.
- RYT-200 Hour Yoga Alliance
- 250-hr Certification with Prairie Yoga in Lisle, IL
- Hatha / Vinyasa Style Yoga
- Thesis Paper topic was on Yin Yoga: A Journey through the Five Elements
- 50-hr Yin Yoga Certification
- 30-hr Yoga for Healthy Aging Certification
- Baxter Bell = https://www.baxterbell.com/
- Melina Meza = https://www.melinameza.com/
- Coming soon…Restorative Certification with Judith Hanson Lasater in June 2021
- Reiki Master
- Levels One through Three completed in Usui Shiki Ryoho
- Member of IARP (International Association of Reiki Professionals)
- CPR Certification through StartCPR, Inc
- Philadelphia Insurance for Vinyasa Yoga & Reiki
I also have continued my learning via workshops / books with the following teachers…
- Bernie Clark
- Judith Hanson Lasater
- Mary Richards
- Melina Meza
- Baxter Bell
- Tias Little
- Nicolai Bachman
- Multiple teachers via Prairie Yoga